Tuesday, December 8, 2009

SPECIFIC MATERIALS AND IDEAS

I have been asked to repeat some of the PROCESS of participation that I had previously shared in personal e-mails. So here goes.
MATERIALS USED FOR KNITTING OR CROCHETING: First of all, I have been told that if we are knitting for military use, we should ONLY use wool because acrylic is flammable. Some wonderful organizations of long standing contributions to the military - OPERATION TOASTY TOES or WARMTH FOR OUR WARRIORS - use bright colors and acrylics because they give to hospitals, where camouflage is not an issue. Further, some of their work is used to just 'brighten the barracks of soldiers". I am trying to create a VIRAL production of camouflage warmth for our soldiers who are in action. So I went to MICHAEL'S CRAFTS and visited their special area for soldiers.

They have, evidently, worked with the military to come up with acceptable camouflage colors in wool. They are: Patton's dark olive; Patton's heather; Patton's gray; Patton's black. I also iron on a Dill American Flag to my work but that is optional. I have created some smaller items without American Flags so that military personnel might pass them out to youngsters who are cold.

PATTERNS: MICHAEL'S CRAFTS does provide a FREE pattern for a neck/helmet sock. However, I have simplified what I am knitting to a neck sock, minus the head or helmet part. It is simple, pulls over the head to warm the neck and can also be pulled over the chin and nose for additional facial warmth. Here is that very simple pattern: KNIT 2, PURL 2 AROUND AND AROUND AND AROUND UNTIL YOU HAVE 9 INCHES. I CAST ON 108 STITCHES. YOU MUST ALWAYS START WITH KNIT 2 AND END THE ROW ON A PURL 2 SO THAT THE PATTERN IS ACHIEVED. I use 5 #9 bamboo knitting needles - stitches on four needles evenly divided and work on the 5th needle. However, many people are doing this on two needles and just sewing up the back with a seam. I prefer a seamless sock, but either way, the finished product will provide warmth. I will take a picture of a few of my finished products to put on this blog; but I'm still learning all this technical stuff and need to rely on my wonderful son Geoffrey to help me out. He is understandably busy with his own life, but has been most cooperative in his mother's effort to organize an effort to add to those who are already sending warm items to our troops.

COSTS: I believe that the Patton's yarn is $4.95 a ball. It was $3.95 a ball, but sadly, they've raised the prices on this at MICHAEL'S CRAFTS. I get three neck socks out of 2 balls of yarn. The Dill American Flag iron on patch is $1.50 a patch. So far, I'm the only one ironing on the American Flag patch but I want to share the information with you. Lastly, as I have said in a previous blog, whatever you decide to send to a soldier, PICK UP A FLAT RATE POSTAL BOX YOU KNOW YOU CAN AFFORD TO SEND. Then, fill the box. If you buy school supplies or have lots of things to send, you may find yourselves in a financial bind just getting it all mailed off.

GENERAL MAMA'S WOOL WARRIORS TAG AND NOTE: I will have thes printed up on card stock over at Kinko's. If you need some of these, just contact me and I'll mail them off to you free of charge.....or at least as long as we can handle that. Why use these cards? Lots of reasons. First of all, you can write your own personal note on each card. Second of all, it will appear to be a legitimate organized effort. Third of all, in my opinion, this is a charity and costs should be tax deductible. I AM NOT COLLECTING ANY MONEY NOR WILL I EVER DO THAT. That is cumbersome and unnecessary for my purposes - our purposes. I am merely trying to provide organization and a process for those people I know or those who attach themselves to this effort. However, having said that, it is my opinion that any yarns or supplies you purchase to send finished products off to our soldiers, are considered a charity donation and therefore, tax deductible. Check it out to be sure.

SPECIFIC COSTS OF MAILING THINGS: Most people do not know this: when you get a military AP ADDRESS, the costs involved in mailing are the same costs of mailing anything in the United States. If you are mailing a box, you are NOT paying the costs of mailing to Afghanistan or Iraq or Germany or wherever. You are paying the cost of the weight that anything would cost to mail within the Continental United States. This is good to know. So a simple holiday card to Iraq or Afghanistan is just the cost of a U.S. postage stamp. Good to know.

HOW DO I GET A SOLDIER'S NAME TO SEND THINGS? You go directly to ANYSOLDIER.COM. You have to sign up, which is free of charge. Why? They need an information trail to make certain that addresses are used properly. Once you do that, they will give you a list of soldiers who have signed up to recieve cards, knitted or crocheted items, school supplies for Afghani or Iraqui children, etc. You can only get two addresses a day.

WHAT SHOULD YOU SEND TO OUR SOLDIERS? Very often, when you click on the soldier's name, he/she may list things they would appreciate. Very often, there is nothing there. However, I was told that soldiers appreciate and actually treasure, holiday cards or notes sent to them. That is a matter of just a U.S. stamp!

One soldier indicated that he wanted school supplies sent. Another appreciated snack foods that are not perishable. Another indicated anything warm - such as neck socks or wool slippers, etc. At the very least, we can send notes and holiday cards. They are appreciated.

WHAT CAN I DO TO HELP SUPPORT OUR MILITARY IF I'M NOT A CRAFT PERSON? You can send a holiday card. You may wish to donate money to the website ANYSOLDIER.COM as they have indicated a need. You may wish to pair up with a knitter and pay for the mailing costs of product she/he produces. You may wish to offer yarns to seniors who are strapped for money or who are in retirement homes. You may wish to encourage your child's school to teach kids how to knit so that they can support their troops. You may wish to encourage THE GIRL SCOUTS OF AMERICA to consider this craft and patriotic project. You may wish to send snacks or goodies that are not perishable.

My feelings are that I'm frankly tired of just sending on mushy e-mails people have sent me asking to support our troops and having it end there. THAT IS NOT ENOUGH! Mushy e-mails do not help our troops; sending them needed items - even if that is just a card and a personal note- does help.

If this blog helps to organize and provide information, that is the goal. I consider each and every one of our troops to be one of mine; I hope you do too.
We have an ALL VOLUNTEER MILITARY; let us be an all volunteer warrior of another kind - SUPPORT!
Let's get busy or busier! Thanks for your time and efforts.

General Mama and the Wool Warriors

2 comments:

  1. So I put the word out to my friends, to my Masonic brethren, folks whom I work with, etc and the following are from different folks who’ve responded, and I was forwarded the message. My friend Micol forwarded me this message from one of her friends - I've made some edits to keep her personal info out, but the core info is there. I’m so grateful, that this is really starting to go viral! Thank you all so very much.

    From: Wendy J. 
Sent: Tuesday, December 08, 2009 1:41
    As a knitter, I’ll pass along. As part of a military family....there are a lot of “requirements” for what works and what doesn’t for our troops. It’s all rather interesting. 
I’ve participated in similar programs and also for children in Afghans for Afghans.

    This is one of the charities I’ve sent helmet liners to: knitting for Marines 
C/O Citizen Sam 
P.O. Box 10565 
Peoria, IL 61612

    Absolutely NO synthetics. Wool self extinguishes and doesn’t bind to the skin. Strangely enough, Michael’s craft stores is really active in a lot of the soldier initiatives.....especially in towns near the bases. They have all the yarns that are usable in one area.

    

There’s a “social networking” site called Ravelry that I’m part of. They have a lot of charity knitting groups there; and a lot of soldier’s wives. Check them out for what’s working for their guys or not.

    

....so I’ll spread far and wide.

XO
WJ

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for your responses! I have checked out military requirements and as stated here, no acrylics; just wool or wool-silk mixtures. I have written a letter to the President and CEO of Michael's Crafts with ideas for further publicity and cooperation in this effort. We are a small group. We have decided areas of participation. Hope you wish to join up. Let me know if you want GENERAL MAMA WOOL WARRIOR tags/note cards to attach to your work. Let's keep our 'kids' warm. Keep in mind, they are all kids to me. I'm knitting away. General Mama

    ReplyDelete