Tuesday, December 22, 2009

How did I get the nick-name GENERAL MAMA?

I guess I need to clarify this, although it really doesn't seem so important to me in terms of the paradigm of this program. When I was doing my research into how to create a process for getting things out to our military, one of my phone calls involved a Lieutenant Colonel. I had told him that I was a retired teacher and that the kids had always called me Mama-Schu. That is when he kept calling me Mrs. Schumann, which was way too formal for me. So he laughed and said something like, "Well, okay, General Mama; I think you and your pals are going to put a dent into this need. Let me hook you up with other organizations that are doing some of their own things." That done, I contacted organizations such as OPERATION TOASTY TOES and WARM WARRIORS. They are all doing WONDERFUL jobs. HOwever, it didn't seem cost effective to me to mail off completed items to them, pay postage here and then have them have to pay postage yet again to get them mailed to an APO address.
Therefore, I came up with the name, based on what the Lieutenant Colonel called me, of a loose group that had a goal of keeping the soldiers warm with knitted or crocheted items, as well as sending goodies when we could, BUT DOING IT AS INDIVIDUALS UNDER THE UMBRELLA OF A GROUP NAME. That's why I had the tags printed up and I share them with you all. I have repeated over and over again that our loose group DOES NOT COLLECT MONEY OR SOLICIT DONATIONS. Other groups do and they have gone through the process of being very formal. We are a loose group that comes together for the good. Our blog gives information that can help individual action. The printed tags that you attach to your work and send off, make it clear that we are a group. We send off our own things. How do we do that? Where do we get the addresses? Again, I call your attention to the most wonderful website called anysoldier.com It is there that you go through the prompts and get up to two soldiers' names a day and no more than 10 a month. However, each soldier often lists the number of people in his/her group so that things can be sent to that address in multiples.
The MOST IMPORTANT part of this blog is the section (now under previous postings) on PROCESS AND MATERIALS. Check it out. I hope this has settled the question of how I got the name of General Mama. It works for me and I thank the Lieutenant Colonel for the nickname.
Keep knitting or crocheting or buying snacks or other items to send off. Don't forget to use the pre-priced PRIORITY MAIL boxes or envelopes that are the real deal in postage. Oh, and I'm pleased as punch to share this with you, I GOT AN E-MAIL FROM A SOLDIER TO WHOM WE SENT JUST A HOLIDAY CARD! It was wonderful to hear from him. Now that there is a connection, Jeff and I will send off some goodies and a few knitted things. So you see, IT WORKS!
Chanukah is over; please let me wish you a very Merry and Blessed Christmas. Kwanza is right around the corner!

Adria
General Mama
Mama-Schu

No comments:

Post a Comment